French Lentils

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I got this recipe from a Williams-Sonoma cookbook that I have had for years.  It is the first lentil recipe that I've found that doesn't end up with "beat up" lentils afterwards.  I think it is the combination of boiling and sauteing that helps keep the integrity of the little lentils intact.

I made a few slight modifications to this recipe.  The original includes carrots as well, but I did not have those on hand, so I omitted.  Also, the receipe called for fresh thyme, but I used dried. 

French Lentils

1/3 cup fine diced red onion
1/3 cup fine diced celery
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup lentils
3 cups water
1 tsp dried thyme

In a mesh colander, rinse lentils.  Set lentils, thyme and water in a small saucepan on med-high heat until simmering.  Lower to medium, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile in a medium saute pan, add olive oil, onion and celery.  Saute until tender, then add butter and allow to melt.

Add cooked lentils to saute pan, and stir to incorporate, simmering for another 10 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

0 comments:

City 2 Burb, and all that it entails... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino