Yogurt Marinated Lamb Kebabs w/ Roasted Peppers and Whole Wheat Couscous

Thursday, January 7, 2010


Yumm. Something grilled in the middle of winter. I feel like I'm cheating some sort of natural law by enjoying "grilled" food in January. I found this recipe in my South Beach Cookbook. Definitely easy, healthy and satisfying.

Yogurt Marinated Lamb Kebabs with Roasted Peppers and Couscous

Here's what I used:

1 lb cubed lamb loin
1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
S&P
4-6 wooden skewers

2 green bell peppers, seeded, cubed 1" pieces
1 onion, cubed 1" pieces

1 cup Whole Wheat Couscous
1 1/4 cup water
pinch salt
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
(a squeeze of lemon juice)

Cuisinart Indoor grill (but you can use a ridged frying pan too)

Here's what I did:

First I prepared my marinade by combining the yogurt, garlic, and seasoning in a mixing bowl, and added my lamb. I allowed this to sit until ready to grill, but recipe recommends 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, I seeded and cubed my green peppers, and chopped the onion. I also soaked my wooden skewers in water for several minutes, so that they didn't burn on the indoor grill. Then I brushed my indoor grill with olive oil and set the dial to med-high.

Once my veggies were cut, I added them and 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl, and coated thoroughly. Then I skewered my vegetables on several skewers and set them on the grill. These took about 15-20 minutes to slightly soften, but still maintain some crunch.

When the veggies were getting close to being done, at about the 15 minute mark, I skewered my lamb and added that to the grill as well, turning once after 4 minutes - for a total of 8 minutes cook time.

While the kebabs were cooking, I added the water, olive oil and seasoning to a saucepan, and once boiling, added my couscous, and removed from heat. I fluffed with a fork after about 5 minutes and added a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (maybe 1/2 tsp).

By the time the lamb was cooked, so were the veggies and the couscous. I plated the skewers overtop the couscous. At this point, we tasted the meat and added a touch more salt to taste.

0 comments:

City 2 Burb, and all that it entails... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino