South Beach Turkey Chili

Friday, September 18, 2009

I really, really, really love my South Beach Cookbook. Everything I find in that book is delicious, gourmet-tasting (without gourmet effort) and above all, HEALTHY. This Chili recipe is no exception. Its one of my top 5 recipes from this book (I have it linked in my Favorite Cookbooks Widget on the right-hand panel). The weather yesterday, and today, has been overcast, chilly, misty and gloomy...perfect CHILI weather. By 10am yesterday I knew exactly what I would be making for dinner.


South Beach Turkey Chili

Here's what I used:

1 lb ground turkey (naturally low fat)
2 sweet onions (vidalia), chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tbsp good olive oil
15 oz can chopped tomatoes
2/3 can tomato paste
3 cups chicken broth (I used bullion, and added water)
1 can black beans (drained, rinsed)
1 can navy beans (drained, rinsed)
1 can dark kidney beans (drained, rinsed)
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Topping:
2 tbsp sour cream
handful of shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Here's what I did:

In large stock pot, I added the olive oil and then onions. Once the onions had softened (about 5 minutes) I added my garlic and turkey. I allowed the turkey to cook for about 8-10 minutes, and then added my bell pepper and spices. I allowed the bell pepper to cook for another few minutes and then added my canned tomatoes (with juice!), tomato paste and chicken broth. Stirred to fully incorporate and smooth out any lumps made by the tomato paste. Finally, I added all the beans.

Once all ingredients have been incorporated, check the seasoning. If you like more heat, add a pinch of cayenne pepper. I used a little bit of Tony Chacheries, which is a cajun seasoning. If you can find some at your local market, pick it up...its hard to find where I live. We often have to order from www.cajungrocer.com.

I allow the chili to simmer on low heat for about 20 or so minutes, this lets all the ingredients really meld together, and the sauce to thicken a bit.

Served in a large soup bowl, and topped with a small handful of cheddar cheese and sour cream (Disclaimer: This part is NOT SOUTH BEACH, and does add calories).

On to reviews: The hubbs really liked the chili. He added a touch of tabasco to his, but I left mine alone. He did say it was one of the best chili renditions I've done, and I think that's due to the fact that I allowed it to cook down for so long. It made the mixture much more rich and delicious. Can't wait for these leftovers. This recipe easily made enough for 6 people.

0 comments:

City 2 Burb, and all that it entails... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino