Mia's Chicken Enchiladas

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fall is starting to appear. Crisp air in the morning and a chilly breeze remind me that the leaves will change soon, and sweater weather will be here in no time at all. With that comes heartier meals like stews, casseroles....mmmm...some of my very favorites. One of those is my grandmother's Chicken Enchiladas. I have been enjoying this recipe since I was a child...and now enjoy making it for my own family.


Mia's Chicken Enchiladas

Here's what I used:

1 package corn tortillas
3-4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 bag/block shredded cheddar cheese
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cups chicken stock (I used bullion cubes and water)
1 can Rotel (spicy tomato/green chilis)
2 tsp cumin
S&P
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stick butter
2-3 tsp olive oil

Here's what I did:

First I prepared my chicken for a quick sear, by seasoning with S&P (both sides) and 1 tsp cumin. Then I added olive oil to a non-stick skillet and seared my chicken for 3 minutes per side on med-high heat. This adds a layer of flavor that boiling would not.

Meanwhile, I cut all corn tortillas into halves, and lined the bottom of a large glass casserole dish with the tortillas, I used about 8 tortillas, halved, to cover the bottom of the dish.

Once the chicken was seared, I removed them to a plate to rest. Added the butter to the same skillet that the chicken was in, and added my diced onions and minced garlic. I allowed them to soften, cooking about 8 minutes. Once translucent, I added my chicken stock, Rotel (juice too!), cumin and cream of chicken soup, stirring to remove any lumps. I allowed this mixture to cook down on high heat for about 20-25 minutes. You want to achieve a silky, gravy-like texture prior to adding to casserole dish. At the very end, once texture looked good, I added my chicken (chopped/torn into 1"ish pieces) into the mixture.

Now it was time to assemble the enchiladas. I added 1/3 of my chicken/sauce mixture to the casserole dish, and then topped with 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Then I laid another layer of halved corn tortillas, another 1/3 of the chicken/sauce, and then an other 1/3 of cheese. Finally, I added the third layer of corn tortillas, the remaining chicken/sauce and topped with cheese.

Cooked at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until bubbly and slightly browned on top.

The hubbs and my dad both agreed that this was my best rendition of this family classic. I attribute it to the use of the Rotel (the original recipe only calls for a small can of green chilis, but I used a large can of tomatoes/chilis instead) and the cayenne. This dish had a great Kick, and I can't wait to enjoy it a second time for lunch - I'm sure it will taste even better!!

0 comments:

City 2 Burb, and all that it entails... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino