Chicken Kabobs with Greek Salad and Hummus

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One of my favorite dinners is Greek Chicken Salad. There are a few places in the northern virginia area that make impressive Greek Salad's. One is Moby Dick's House of Kabob, another is Paisano's in Fair Lakes. While I enjoy patronizing our local stores, its also a challenge to try to recreate them in my kitchen. On top of that, I despise store-bought hummus. I think it tastes mealy and is too lumpy. So I have perfected my own recipe, after several middle-eastern friends and coworkers had provided me with several hints. I made this dinner in three parts: Chicken and Green Pepper Kabobs, Greek Salad with Calamata Olives & Feta, and Hummus with lightly toasted wheat pita wedges. Yummmmm.





Chicken and Green Pepper Kabobs

Here's what I used:

2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large green bell pepper
1/2 cup greek dressing
S&P
6 pre-soaked wooden skewers

Here's what I did:

Set the grill to Medium heat. Used kitchen shears and cut the chicken into large 1.5" cubes, and added them and the greek dressing into a dish to marinate. I also liberally sprinkled them with S&P. Chopped the bell pepper into 1" pieces. Alternated chicken and peppers onto each skewer, with a small space in between each piece. I put about 4 pieces each of chicken and peppers on each skewer...smaller skewers might require less per skewer.

Cooked skewers, turning occasionally, for about 6-8 minutes. Longer if chicken pieces are larger.

~



Greek Salad with Calamata Olives & Feta

Here's what I used:

1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large cucumber, skinned, halved lengthwise, and then chopped
2 tbsp reduced fat feta cheese
6-8 pitted Calamata olives
Greek Dressing as desired

Here's what I did:

Combine all ingredients into a large salad bowl. I don't add dressing until salad is plated. I let each person choose how much dressing they want to add. I also hold the olives for my husband, who doesn't like them, and just add them to mine.

~


Hummus

Here's what I used:

1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed well and drained
2-3 tbsp Tahini (sesame seed paste)
4-5 tbsp good olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp champagne vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder (or 2 cloves roasted garlic - yumm!)
S&P

Here's what I did:

In a food processor or blender, combine chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, vinegar and S&P. Slowly add olive oil until mixture binds together. Continue to add olive oil, and blend until mixture achieves smooth, peanut butter-like consistency. If you like your hummus more grainy, process it a little less. I like it the smoother the better, w/ no grainy or lumpy texture.

I also like to cut pita bread into 8 wedges, and then let toast in the toaster oven for about 2-3 minutes and serve hot with the hummus. Enjoy!!


0 comments:

City 2 Burb, and all that it entails... Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino